The Shuttleworth Collection
The Shuttleworth Collection, based at Old Warden Aerodrome was started by Richard Shuttleworth. It is home to the best collection of genuine WWI aircraft that all still fly in Europe, alongside historic aircraft from 1909 to the 1950s. The Collection includes the oldest aircraft still flying – the 1909 Blériot – as well as a 1938 special ops Westland Lysander and a 1941 Supermarine Spitfire which was used to escort USA air force bombers between 1942 and 1943. Various public flying events are held through the year.
The Collection also includes vintage vehicles including a steam locomobile and early buses, cycles and motorcycles.
There is a gift shop and restaurant, and – in the wider Shuttleworth Park grounds – a period mansion (open on event days), the ‘Swiss Garden’ and the Shuttleworth Agricultural College (part of Bedford College).
The aerodrome entrance is off Hill Lane, to the east of Old Warden village.
The closest section of the Greensand Ridge Walk is at Northill, approximately 1.4 miles north of the aerodrome.
The Greensand Cycle Route passes close to the site, to the east of Old Warden village.