St Swithuns Church, Sandy
St Swithuns is a cruciform, built of local ironstone, which was probably quarried at Sandy Warren (now the grounds of The Lodge – RSPB). It was rebuilt in the 14th century and was greatly restored and enlarged between 1858-1860.
The church contains much stained glass and a large number of memorial plaques, including ones to the Pym family of Hazells Hall in Sandy. In the south transept stands the large marble statue of Captain Sir William Peel, RN, third son of the Robert Peel. He was one of the first recipients of the Victoria Cross and built his own railway from Sandy to Potton.
The font stands on a medieval base and the font bowl is believed to be Saxon. In the chancel can be seen the 14th century Sedilia and Piscina, together with a fragment of medieval alabaster carving, once part of an ancient reredos.
In the churchyard is a medieval stone coffin and the graves of Sir Frederick Liddell, brother of Alice, whom Lewis Carroll based his character, Alice in Wonderland, and also of Francis Pym, the famous parliamentarian and former Sandy resident.
The Parish Church is situated a short distance to the north-west of where the GSRW crosses Sandy’s High Street – thus only a very short detour is required.