St Leonard’s Church, Old Warden
Originally associated with nearby Warden Abbey there is evidence of the existence of the church in documents from 1135 and there is some Norman work in the lower part of the tower.
Inside the church, the most striking feature is the amount of ornately carved woodwork throughout the building. This was installed by Lord Ongley during the restorations that he undertook in 1841-2. The source of much of the carved work has been unknown for many years but is now believed to been created by craftsmen in Bruges for Anne of Cleves, Henry VIII’s fourth wife. Panels in the church match identical panels on Anne’s tomb in Westminster Abbey.
The churchyard is also home to the Shuttleworth family memorial which commemorates Joseph, Caroline Jane, Frank, Richard Ormonde and Dorothy Coltilda Shuttleworth.
The church is situated off Church Lane in Old Warden. Parking is available in the church car park.
The Greensand Ridge Walk passes to the north of the village, and hence the church cannot be seen from the route.