Sandye Place was built in c1750 by the Monoux family. It is of red brick and is balustraded. It stands on a grass tiered terrace, looking toward the River Ivel which runs through the grounds.
The medieval Sandye Place was built of locally quarried ironstone and was the seat of the Lords of the Manor. The Georgians erected the present building on the base of the earlier house, the remains of which can still be seen in the basement. The ironstone wing was added to the home in the early 19th century.
In the grounds there stands an ironstone dovecote, once part of a willow pattern plate landscape created in c1895 by Sir Robert Edgecombe. Unfortunately, the boathouse and Chinese bridge have been demolished, as have the 18th century ironstone walled gardens.
From 1869 to the early 1950’s, Sandye Place was the home of the famous Sandye show, the largest one day horticultural show in the Midlands, when thousands would descend into the parkland grounds.
The building became Sandye Place County Secondary Modern School in 1951 and, following the introduction of comprehensive education in the 1970’s, became Sandye Academy from 1979 to 2019 when the school was closed.
The main entrance to Sandye Place is from Park Road, but it can be seen from the GSRW next to the Riddy Nature Reserve.