Clophill is steeped in history, with several buildings of interest, including the watermill, Old St Mary’s Church and a number of listed buildings dating to the 17th and 18th centuries. It is thought that the village of Clophill originally grew up around the old Church, which sits on the hill above the village, gradually moving down the hill to its current location. It was indeed mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Clopelle, meaning “tree-stump hill” in Old English.